Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Christmas Letter 2014

December 10, 2014

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone!


I hope everyone has had a wonderful year. 

For us, the past year has been quite busy.  In no particular order… our niece Liz got married to her boyfriend Sam.  At the time, they were living in Winlaw, BC.  They have just recently moved from there to Slocan, BC.  Merina (Liz’s mom) decided she liked the area so much, that she moved there, too, and is currently living with them. 


In March, I was laid off from the Star/Journal and by early April had landed a job as clerk at Jim’s Food Market in Little Fort.  Little Fort is a 20 minute drive north of Barriere.  The only real store there (that is open year round), other than the odd restaurant, is Jim’s – it is a grocery store, Subway restaurant, and Husky gas station all rolled into one.  I now have earned my propane ticket (which means I am allowed to pump propane for customers), and have also been trained as bakery cook, besides doing the front till work.  It is lots of fun and the other workers there are great to work with.

I like the bakery work, except for that the shift is always from 6:30am to 2:30pm (and I am NOT an early riser by nature!!).  I also like working the till, as there I get to meet the people more, and there are a wide variety of things to do (restocking the shelves, cleaning, pumping propane, etc.), not to mention that it means having some afternoon or closing shifts (which means I can sleep in in the mornings!). 

Sylvia decided that she needed a change, and consequently changed not only her job, but also her location, moving from Merritt, BC to Clearwater, BC and then to Little Fort.  Her new job… at Jim’s Food Market with me!! Yay!  She is enjoying it here, and has gotten a cat named Cheetoh. 


Speaking of cats, my cat, Cleo, is getting old.  She turned 18 in September.  Considering, she is still quite spry, going up and down the stairs every day (several times, usually).  But she isn’t as good a mouser as she once was (understandably, considering her age).  We have a few mice in the house at the moment… it happens occasionally, around winter some years.  She hears them, and gets interested, nosing around in the kitchen for a bit (which is where they tend to make the most noise), but hasn’t managed to catch any of them yet.  I managed to catch a few myself… one had fallen into the kitchen sink and was too small to jump out (though it tried).  I took a jar and put it into the sink, it ran into the jar, I covered the opening with a paper towel and took it outside, far from the house, and let it go.  The other one I managed to catch it with a small box and also let it go outside, well away from the house.  That second one was a bigger one, and required some chasing across the counter before catching it in the box.  Mice are cute, but I don’t really want them loose in the house!

Antoon has settled in pretty well here with us in Barriere.  He is very involved with the local Food Bank, and has been making lunches for the Elementary School students.  He has also done some tutoring at the high school.  His two dogs, Kidu and Charlotte are doing well, too.  Antoon has a part time job now, at Sam’s Pizza and Rib House, delivery pizzas and helping out in the kitchen when things are busy.

Wim is doing well and is still delivering newspapers.  He has his own two routes, and helps another lady deliver to another three routes (she doesn’t have a car, so he drives her for her routes).

I started a new group here in Barriere… the Barriere Writer’s Group.  Once a month anyone interested in writing can meet at the library to discuss what they are writing, or to get encouragement or help from each other.  A variety of people have been showing up, and sometimes the discussions are quite interesting.  The other group that I started a while ago, is the Genealogy Group.  That group also meets once a month, also at the library, and is quite fun.  I love researching names, especially when I’m able to find info for someone.

In August, Wim, Sylvia, Antoon and I went to Wells Gray Park to visit the site where Mom and Dad’s ashes were spread.  The Helmcken Falls are so beautiful!
 

Robert and Loretta still live in Vancouver.  Robert has a new job, and they are enjoying having him bring home a steady paycheque once again.  For Christmas, they decided to go to Hawaii for about a week.

So, all in all, the Houben clan here in BC are doing quite well, and wish all our friends and relatives all the best for the holidays!

Sincerely, and with lots of love and warm wishes, Margaret





Merry Christmas to all and a very happy and healthy New Year!
Fröhliche Weihnachten und Ein Glückliches Neues Jahr!
Prettige Kerstdagen en een gelukkig Nieuwe Jaar!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Margaret; I enjoyed your newsy letter. This year I didn't write a paper letter...no time as I was in Hawaii. That sure sounds exotic, eh? It was fun.
    This is a great idea to put up an online letter on your blog. I will copy your idea.
    I wish you had posted a recent pic of you and your brothers!

    ReplyDelete